Thursday, October 22, 2015

Halloween: Just another Christian girl's perspective

It's not breaking news Halloween is rooted in evil. We all know the meaning of the day when we drive around neighborhoods and see demons hanging from trees, spider webs, ghosts, and all things creepy. My husband and I both grew up in families that pretended the day didn't exist. Our parents said it's evil, we don't celebrate, pretty firm in their stance. We participated in Harvest parties at church and dressed up in silly, happy costumes, we still got to bring our loot of candy and cakes home so we never felt we were missing out.
This year is the first year we have a house and a neighborhood and our 2 year old little man who is starting to comprehend what's happening. I wrestled through it, I asked friends, I've been struggling with going against my upbringing but here's the conclusion I came to. The point is we have to find our conviction for our own family, line it up with Truth of the Bible and go with it, and for us it seems to be that deciding year. For my family, my 2 year old has been wanting to see the creepy houses, he says he likes them. I've already needed to explain several times we don't celebrate creepy, we stay away from creepy. We don't want to bring creepy into our house.
There's a verse that rings true 1 Thessalonians 5:22
Paul is writing a letter of encouragement to the church of Thessalonians. He tells them to cling to what is good and stay away from every form of evil. Our knee jerk reaction is to say Halloween is harmless, we bring home a loot of candy, it's fun but do we go on the other side of the spectrum and lock ourselves in the house in order to abstain from every form of evil? Maybe yes your family needs to do that, maybe yes my family will reevaluate and need to do that but for now here's my charge for you. Be salt and light.
Inside your house should be a safe place filled with warmth and love.
Outside your house should be a bright light for Jesus.
Jesus never said hide out, cover your lamp with a basket. He said "put your light on a stand so it will give light to all in the house. Let your light shine before others, so they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is heaven."

If you want ideas of what to do.. . I'll be decorating my house with all things Thankful, all things Blessed, all things Joyful. This is a time of year to remember all the good things Jesus has done for us and be thankful.
We can hide that truth or we can shine that truth.
Host a front yard party, serve hot apple cider to parents, meet your neighbors, make new friends. The whole neighborhood is out one night a year, we have an opportunity to hideout or shine bright. 

As for me and my house, we serve the Lord and I am so thankful Jesus died on the cross for me so I could live a full, abundant life and I don't want to hide that truth.


 “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet.
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.  Matthew 5:13-16
 

No comments:

Post a Comment