Saturday, June 27, 2015

Petunia.

Pride comes before the fall. 
You don't want to read this. I know I don't want to hear it. The truth just sucks but it's still truth and people still search for truth. By no means do I think I'm right all the time but I do believe truth is in the Bible. A book that was written looong before I was a thought so who am I to think I can go changing what it says. We don't go changing the meaning of words in the Dictionary or rewrite any classic book. Have you ready Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or Pride and Prejudice or To Kill a Mockingbird or hey, what about Heidi? Do we just go change the story? 

So why do we think we can change the definition of marriage? 
Just because our choices are fun doesn't make them right. 

My pride was completely called out this week and I honestly don't know how to change. I almost don't want to change. My choices of how I spend my time during my boys' nap time probably disappoints God. He doesn't hate me but He does want to correct me. If I let Him. I nap or watch a show or three shows. I'm lazy and it has become a bad, daily habit. The problem isn't the show, it's the choosing to be selfish, it's the choosing to put the focus on ME and that's where PRIDE comes. 

It's no coincidence pride keeps coming up lately. Our world is increasing in pride. All the way to the White House declaring the most prideful decision, all the way to gay pride. Coincidence? I don't think so. There might just be a fall that follows soon here. When we puff our heads up and choose to continue increasing our pride we are literally spitting on the face of God. 
Do we really think He's just going to be ok with that? 
What did He do with people in the Bible who chose to do that?
God had a righteous anger to correct His people in a righteously loving way, sometimes destroying whole populations because they continued to spit in His face.

God is saying STOP in your tracks, humble yourself, and TURN to Him NOW..... THEN .....THEN He will show mercy and grace on us. He only punishes those who don't stop and turn. RECOGNIZE your pride and stop. I am preaching to myself here too but let's just let the TRUTH be told on this sadly historic day. 
 God has a funny way of reminding us and speaking to us and I truly believe He is trying to direct us because He loves us so much. I was reading this little wise book to my boys and I had to laugh out loud. It wasn't funny but it was funny. 
This sweet little duck Petunia thinks she can carry a book under her wing to make her wise and all her barnyard friends will ask her advice. Throughout the story her pride is puffed up, her neck is growing taller until the end she tells her friends to eat fireworks and there's an explosion. She sits down with bruises and a wounded ego and says, " Now I understand. It was not enough to carry wisdom under my wing. I must put it in my mind and in my heart. And to do that I must learn to read."

Don't you see? We have to go to God, we have to learn from Him and let it sink into our minds and hearts. "If you love learning, you love discipline that goes with it- how shortsighted to refuse correction!" Proverbs 12:1 
"..Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet." James 4:7

Just because the voice is loud and pastors say your choice is ok doesn't mean God says it's ok. You can call it individuality, you can call it self-expression, you can say we all have a right to our choices, whatever it is you're choosing to do it doesn't matter- God's truths stand true yesterday, today and forever no matter how we bend the truth. And one day we WILL face Him and there will be no justifying our choices to Him. 

Now saying all that. I need help and guidance to draw nearer to Him and let His truths soak into my mind and heart. Sometimes I just sit on my back swing and stare into the sun asking Jesus to show me mercy. I need Him everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment